Our Commitment to DEI
Transcendence Theatre Company is committed to reflecting a culture of belonging without a sense of otherness as we practice diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and unity.
Our “Transcendence for All” program welcomes and builds a broad audience where every person feels valued and appreciated. We stand for theatre as an opportunity to unite and we seek creative opportunities to make theatre accessible to all. Transcendence collaborates with a diverse community of artists in making extraordinary experiences that unite our community.
Transcendence Theatre Company’s dedication to our culture of “Belonging” is highlighted in our culture manifesto.
We commit to having a culture of belonging without a sense of otherness as we practice diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and unity.
– We embrace and celebrate differences
– We are committed to every person being accepted and seen for who they are
– We create a safe and comfortable environment for every person to feel valued and appreciated
– All ideas and voices are welcome – we value diversity of thought, opinion, and artistic/creative expression
– We stand for Theater as an opportunity to unite
– We seek creative opportunities to make theatre accessible to all
We strive always to do better. Below are some steps we have taken to grow our diversity, equity, inclusion, and governance:
– Continued workshops by professional DEI consultants for staff, leadership, board members, and seasonal employees.
– The Board of Directors has called for a Culture Committee to be comprised of diverse members of our community that uphold the values of our organization and create strategic initiatives that advance our mission forward.
– Created our Culture Manifesto
– Results from employee surveys have been analyzed by both the leadership team and an independent firm with action plans completed to address areas for positive change.
– Transcendence Creative Teams have created a process to discuss, debrief, and provide context for all musical selections.
– Land acknowledgement practices have been incorporated into first rehearsal rituals and also are recognized in Transcendence written programs.
– A new non-executive HR presence for staff was established.
– A licensed emotional support professional is available to all staff and casts.
– All artists participate in an “Artist Reflection” where they can openly share feedback on their experiences. Artists also may access any member of the leadership team to schedule 1-1 feedback.
– All seasonal & full-time employees begin with an orientation that shares in detail the company’s mission, values, policies, programming, DEI training, and resources available during their engagement with Transcendence.
– Elected three independent directors to bring Board of Directors to 8 members with majority of 5 independent, non-management directors.
– The officer position of President of the Board of Directors is now held by an independent board member.
– Created our “Transcendence for All” program that stands for theatre as an opportunity to unite our diverse community and seek creative ways to make theatre accessible to all.
– Continued workshops with youths from all backgrounds